A Destination Stewardship Toolkit for Resort, Rural, Recreation, and Gateway Communities
Destination Stewardship is the big-picture approach to the careful and responsible management of "common pool" resources (e.g. public lands, climate, water, affordable housing, equitable access). It requires community-wide collaboration and participatory planning to identify a shared vision and common goals.
Mountain IDEAL is your destination stewardship toolkit.
At its core, Mountain IDEAL is a sustainable destination management standard that is formally recognized by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council. The standard was designed to guide destination managers through the process of implementing a stewardship framework to advance sustainable community development through responsible, regenerative, and transformational tourism.
The Mountain IDEAL Destination Stewardship Framework aims to:
- Improve quality-of-life attributes
- Enhance visitor experience
- Safeguard sense of place
- Amplify community engagement & equity
- Activate economic development
- Drive sustainable growth
- Protect public lands and recreation assets
- Regenerate biodiversity and environmental resources
- Celebrate diversity & cultural heritage
- Manage visitor impacts